Friday, November 2, 2012

Patriotism: This Week's GBE2 Writing Prompt

--by Mike Adams

I've pulled away from blogging in this forum, the result of working double time to promote my side business MLAdams, a remote PC maintenance service. All you need is internet and a connected computer. We can have your computer running better tomorrow! Seriously, I'm pretty good at this computer stuff, so if you need some computer support check it out. Also, if you just want some technical advice, check out my computer maintenance blog. Anyway, now that I've got my shameless plug out of the way, lets move on to the topic at hand, which is patriotism.

Sometimes, I feel that I have a lot to say on this topic, but upon careful examination, my thoughts really boil down to three main points:


  • A patriot is capable of changing their mind given a reasonable point. This is because patriots know that it isn't possible to always be right, so they are looking for where they are mistaken, because they want what is best for their nation.
  • A patriot knows that the political opposition is also patriotic and that their point of view is also based in some truth.Therefore, a real patriot values intelligent discussion with someone who disagrees. The true patriot knows that the best ideas are born in the creative mix of opposing and thoughtful opinion.
  • A patriot bristles at the use of these words in the name of political points, "fascist," "Nazi," "Hitler." The patriot knows that unless we are discussing Slobodan Milošević, idiocy rules when Nazis are introduced. Furthermore the use of Nazi or Hitler for political points it incredibly disrespectful to those who survived concentration camps and those who fought to liberate those camps in WWII.
Lets start with my first point and examine it in light of what we know about humanity. Having been a human being and lived among other humans for my whole life, I assert that the only thing humans can be certain of is that we are, all of us, often wrong. The best way to mitigate being often wrong is having facility with changing one's point of view when appropriate. I contend that loving one's country and wanting what is best for one's community necessitate a willingness to admit when we are mistaken and change our point/s of view. Anything less is specifically unpatriotic! In fact, it is narcissistic platitude masquerading as national pride. Beware nationalists, you best not stare into the mirror too long, you'll be stuck gazing with love at your own misguided self-importance and misperceived infallibility.

This is a perfect time to launch into my next point about knowing that the political opposition is most likely patriotic too. Their thoughts and opinions are based on their view of life, and their lifes' experiences. So quit villainizing them. I mean it quit that right now! We're never going to get anything done of the two or more partisan sides don't grow the f#%k up, quit calling each other names, and sit down at the table like adults to figure this mess out. SO STOP NAME CALLING! DO IT NOW! RIGHT NOW!

For those who know me, you'll know that I tend to be pretty left leaning. Well it turns out that one of my friends and business associates is pretty right leaning. He also happens to be my favorite person in the whole world to discuss politics with. He is a lawyer, he is widely read and his opinions have germinated in the fertile ground of reason, cultivated with facts and nuance. In short, we challenge each other, and in any conversation, either one of us is willing to change our mind. The last time we talked, we joked, half seriously on my part, that we should host a radio talk show. It might not do very well, but it would be the one political show, where the ideas being discussed are being examined using nuance, fact and apparently opposing ideologies. In short, we might come up with some really good and creative ideas in such an atmosphere. That is what our country and world need right now. A healthy exchange of ideas among thoughtful and reasonable people...everyone else, should either take a deep breath and come sit at the grownups table or just sit this one out, Real Housewives or 90210 is supposed to be great this coming season. We'll let you know what we come up with in a 30 second spot after we've ironed out the complicated parts.

Finally, the most personal point I have to make. The Hitler, Nazi or fascist point. Take a break from the TV if you just turned it on in the previous paragraph, because this is important. Stop invoking Hitler, or Nazis or fascists for US politicians, unless they propose that we start some ethnic cleansing or that we send the Cherokee on another long walk. 

I've often wondered when history started getting such short shrift in school. When I was in school, we were taught that the Nazis were infamous for murdering 8 millions Jews and roughly 13 - 16 million people in concentration camps during WWII. This next part bears emphasis, so pay attention: NO US PRESIDENT IN MY LIFETIME HAS DONE ANYTHING COMPARABLE! Not GW, Not Barack Obama, so quit using Hitler or the Nazis to paint these Presidents. It doesn't make your point at all. Rather, people like me, who know about the Nazis, look at your picture of a sitting US President with a Hitler mustache and think, "My God that person is truly an idiot!" 

So my advice, just stop!

Background: my wife's family, on her father's side, is Jewish. I have in-laws, whose parents survived Nazi concentration camps, and who lost every single person they had ever known to the Nazi genocide. So if you are going to invoke the word Nazi, it better be for someone who is engaged in mass murder, otherwise you just painted a giant target on your forehead, which beckons me to label you as a complete ass and a thorough idiot. This third point is really just and outgrowth of the first two points, but I felt it had to be made, so just expunge the words Nazi, Hitler or fascist from your working vocabulary and make room for some other more meaningful words.

If you are still reading, thanks for sticking with me through this rant...I appreciate it and hope you will join me on the road to an intelligent national dialogue about something...anything, please!

6 comments:

  1. Well, hello and welcome back Mr. Adams! I enjoyed your rant and have spoken in the same vein for some time. I enjoy a good political discussion with someone who is NOT spouting 'talking points' or pasting mean and disrespectful memes. We do all come from different perspectives because we have lived different lives and our experiences have indeed make us set our values and our thinking patterns, therefore, respect and the ability to listen make conversations a time of learning. That being preferrable to me over fighting. I am usually right, but I do admit right here in this public forum that I have been wrong and I have been convinced by intelligent conversation that there is a better way. I have flip-flopped.
    It isn't a sin. It's what should happen when you realize you perhaps didn't have all the facts OR the situation has changed.

    Good job...welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I've really been focusing on trying to build my business and haven't had time for this blog, but I miss it. I saw the topic and had to write something on it though. I've written and delivered sermons with a similar message, Here: http://reasonable-thought.blogspot.com/2012/05/i-dont-like-your-motives-well-not-ones.html This is an important point to me and I believe to this world. Thanks again for stopping by to read and for your comment and for the welcome back! --ma

      Delete
  2. I so adore the way you think, Mike. You have this innate wisdom that's complemented by thoughtful life experience. Combined, it adds up to all sorts of awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WN! I really liked this topic and what you wrote on it! You can consider your compliments reflected back at you! :-)

      Delete
  3. about the word nazi.... i on the other hand believe that such an idea has to be widely promulgated and used, if only to honour those who died in the shoah.

    this way, when we see someone begin burning books, we might be able to stop this.

    nazi is not only the germans and the 20th century... it is the same sort that committed the genocide of my own people. i am a north american indian and will not accept that we were not the victims of everyman, the patriots or americans or british who had a nazi notion in them, about race and difference and solutions involving eradication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary,

      Somehow I hadn't received notification of this comment until just now. I think perhaps we had a misunderstanding about meaning. What I meant to communicate is that the term Nazi should not be tossed about in a cavalier manner the way it has been in recent US political contests.

      Neither GW nor Obama have been Nazi like. I think, perhaps I should have somehow provided more emphasis when I said that the term Nazi should be reserved for people perpetrating mass murder. People like Slobodan Miloševic or Joseph Stalin.

      Being half native American and having a mother who was taken by the US Government from her Native parents and adopted into a white family, I feel I have a lot to say on the topic of the US Government History and how it relates to Nazi "values" or tactics.

      First, it is true that the Nazis studied US policy towards Native Americans in the 19th century while they were architecting their "final solution." However, both US Govt. and Brittish policy towards Native Americans, which could be summed up as colonialistic, were entirely distinct from Nazi policy towards Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, etc... which was a policy of eradication, similar to the ethnic cleansing against the Serbs in the 1993, or the genocide against hutu in Rwanda in 1994. The US Government was not attempting to eradicate Native American populations, but rather to "integrate" them into mainstream US society. While the effects of this were horrible and it does demonstrate an extreme cultural and racial arrogance, it is distinct from the Nazi attempt to completely eradicate a race of people from the face of this planet.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! :-)
My wife says comments save fairies. I mostly just want to know that the traffic hits I get on my statistics aren't Russian Spam-Bots!